here we stand
Welcome to Here we Stand.

We are a AU DC forum, which accepts a wide variety of canon alongside original characters. We have a minimum 200 word per post count; a short application with optional RP sample after your first character here; and a 200 word history requirement only. Our activity requirements are one post minimum per month for canon and original characters.

Our plot focuses on a rising darkness which is causing magical disturbances throughout the world, bringing hardships to the heroes. The source of this darkness has been revealed and while they continue to gather support, it is up to the heroes to find a way to stop them before they reach their goal.

SPECTRE WATCH The Spectre is gathering more allies for his cause, to cleanse the world of the filth which lives within it. Driven by curiosity he seeks to test the so called 'heroes' of this world by presenting them with chaos, hardship and personal tests. At the moment, he is unimpressed by the actions of the various heroes and remains unswayed from his decision.
RULES
PLOT
FAQ
IMPORTANT TOPICS
CANON LIST
FACE CLAIMS
WHO'S WHO
SITE CREDITS

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

It Never Fails, Tag: Raven
Christian Verglas
 Posted: Apr 5 2017, 09:48 PM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

“Heroes aren’t always the ones who win”

Gotham was so not his favorite place. God, no. Give him Central any time, any day, anywhere, and it was better than whatever Gotham had to offer.

Except that Belle lived in Gotham, and that meant Chris would just keep coming back to the awful, god forsaken city in order to be able to see his sister. Because that's what brothers and sisters did; they braved these horrible places, these desperate and violent places in order to be near their siblings. With a sigh, Chris looked up, trying to figure out where he was by comparing street names to the map on his phone. This… Yeah, okay, he was lost. He was totally lost.

So there was good news on this, and bad news. Good news: he was pretty sure he was in somewhere called the Narrows, and he wasn’t wearing a suit, so he blended in just a little bit better. Bad news: he was wearing his good watch, and his phone was a newer release. Chris didn’t know all that much about Gotham, but he did know that the Narrows were more… Criminal-ly than the rest of Gotham. Yeah. More criminal-ly, because all of Gotham was chock full of bad guy types. Which he had learned previously! Because he’d gotten bruised ribs for his trouble of visiting his sister.

Not that he blamed Belle! He didn’t! No no no… But…

The feel of something hard pressed against aforementioned bruised ribs shocked Chris out of internal monologue he’d been having with himself (because great now he was going to be robbed on top of it, but at least he didn’t have his credit cards on him or anything, just some cash, not even very much, and his ID) and gasp quietly. Quiet, but whoever it was at his side didn’t seem to like the rush of breath and jammed the barrel of whatever sort of gun (Chris was pretty sure that was a gun) into his already injured side, driving Chris to step the way the other man was directing, because… Ow. Like, really ow; those ribs were bruised, damn it! He was two weeks in now, and able to move a whole lot more freely, but they still hurt when they were poked!

The moment they were in the alley (great, another alley, this wasn’t going to be good…) the man hit him. At least it wasn’t in the ribs. No no, this was in the face, and it made Chris groan, ”What is it with this city…” He raised his hands in a ‘I surrender’ gesture, ”You could demand first, and then not hit me when I give you my money, you know?”

“they’re the ones who lose sometimes.”

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: Apr 6 2017, 10:47 PM
Rachel Roth

It was coincidence and nothing more that put Raven near the alley at the time Christian was getting his ass handed to him. And her first instinct was to run away. She wasn't proud of it, but it wasn't her problem, and she was used to not being able to fight back.

But...something about the man taking the beating there resonated with her, possibly because she knew what it was like to not be able to fight back. Well, that plus she could literally feel what he was feeling, even through her mental shields. And then, part of her was honestly kind of amazed at this man seemed to be complaining about the way he was getting beaten. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but it certainly showed spirit.

Whether because of one of those things or all of them, she did something other than scurry on by. More by instinct than skilled practice, she searched out for the mugger's mind, feeling its frustration and anger. She converted it to primal fear, and the man took off running.

It was frightening how easy it had been. It also felt...good. Addictive. For once, she felt powerful, and for a few moments, she was afraid of herself. So this was part of her power- and at least part of the reason the monks feared her.

But she could worry about the state of her soul later. She moved over to the man lying on the pavement.

"Are you hurt? Wait, stupid question- how badly are you hurt?" she asked.

PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: Apr 8 2017, 07:24 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

Typical Gotham city.

Seriously. Chris was starting to hate it here. This was starting to become routine; Chris came to Gotham to visit his sister (and Thea. He liked Thea, she was great!) and wound up getting accosted. It was a thing, and not the good kind of thing.

He'd take surprise "I-don't-like-you'-kisses over this every day of the week.

But the thing was, chris didn't just run away, either. Usually because by the time he got to the being hit point it was really too late to run. Tonight, Chris was lost, frustrated, and just a little bit angry at this unexpected and up provoked assault. Seriously, Gotham sucked. And so yes, he talked back. Because for real. there wasn't even any need to hit him. He would have handed over his cash. Gladly, in order to avoid being hit.

He took the hit to the face, yelping. Oh yeah. that was going to leave a mark. He was going to have to buy something to cover that up, or everyone would stare at him on Monday. And as warm as it made his blood run, he did not really need another closet interrogation from Safi.

Okay. He also wouldn't mind another closet interrogation from Safi. It would just make the rest of monday difficult. He could totally deal with that. Yes. Yes he could. It would still be embarrassing, though! Safi was going to think... Okay, Safi would know that Chris was hopeless..

And then the man just ran. Yup. Gotham criminals were straight-up strange. No rules, here, just weirdness. Chris watched the guy run, leaning against the building and nursing his nose. Not broken, thank goodness. Just tender. His eye was going to be black and blue, too. Monday was going to suck.

He looked up as a woman approached him, giving her a tentative smile. "me?’ the smile grew, "I'll be alright. Wrong place, wrong time; is all." He shifted, testing his ribs, "Yeah, that's gonna be sore... Thanks... Was already tender, you know? This city doesn't like me."

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 12:49 AM
Rachel Roth

She waited while he assessed his injuries, then knelt down beside him. What came next would be hard for her- at the very least, she would have to touch him. Touching someone, even with her psychic barriers up, gave a small glimpse into that person's feelings.

With a deep breath, she touched his chest- and groaned as she felt a fragment of his pain. She had an idea about how she might be able to limit his pain- a theory the monks had based on her empathic abilities...but nothing more than that. If it did work, he'd be back on his feet, but it would hurt her like a bitch. If it didn't work...well hopefully she wouldn't hurt him in the process.

She closed her eyes and willed his body to heal. She gave a hiss then groaned again as a portion of his pain became hers. So that was how it worked. She rubbed at her ribs gingerly. If Trigon did have this ability, she couldn't imagine him using it- what use would a being without empathy have for weakening himself to heal others?

"You should feel a bit better now," she informed him. "At least enough that you can make it to a doctor without too much pain."
PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: Apr 13 2017, 08:46 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

He was fine. He was, really; yeah, that business with his ribs aggravated the problem, but it wasn't such a big deal.

Chris hurt, but it wasn't the jarring pain he'd been in two weeks ago. Other than pain, Chris was feeling plenty; he was lost and a touch confused, he was frustrated, but no longer afraid, and he was annoyed with himself for getting lost and into this mess in the first place.

Safi was going to lecture him so hard when he heard about this… And of course he’d hear, because the man was a savant at seeing things you were doing your damnedest to hide. And what sort of bodyguard had skills like that?? The sort that came from the Israeli Defense Force’s special forces! (Who worked out and posted very public videos of said workouts on his Facebook page.) And that little set of thoughts sent a shiver of lust and desire through Chris, because of course it did, because who wouldn’t be affected by that?

Christian blinked as the pain left him, and then frowned, slightly because yeah, he wasn’t going to a doctor. They’d ask him what had happened, and he’d have to explain the rest of his injuries, and that was just a whole mess he didn’t need in his life right now. Especially while he was visiting Belle. ”You… Um, thank you.” It had been kind of her, to take the edge off like that. Oh, it still hurt; the injury from today was mostly gone, but the bruised ribs from two weeks ago still ached when he moved wrong, and standing up from sitting in the alley (yeah, he hoped Belle had a stain remover he could borrow) did not count as a right way. Once he was on his feet, he stretched a little bit and smiled to the woman, ”I’m Chris. Thank you for… Everything. Pretty sure that would have gone more poorly if you hadn’t come by.”

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: Apr 20 2017, 05:18 PM
Rachel Roth

Raven knew nothing about healing- well, other than an anatomy book she had read when she was very bored. And she wasn't a hundred percent sure what she was doing, but it didn't seem to be making him worse....so yay for her? Especially since she didn't seem to be doing herself any favors right now. She wondered if she was just inheriting his pain or causing actual injury to herself just now. Magical powers without a user's manual...ugh. At least she had Lucifer's aid now.

She helped him to his feet. He was right- and he didn't realize just how much she had helped him. She had no plans to tell him how much she had truly done for him- who wouldn't be frightened by the revelation that she could apparently twist and shape people's emotions like clay?

"My name is Raven. Like the bird," she confirmed, before feeling silly- what other sort of raven was there? "Let me walk with you a little bit, make sure you're okay. What I did to your pain...it's kinda new to me. Just please don't make a big deal out of it. I don't usually reveal my powers." From what she had gathered of this world thus far, most people didn't believe in psychic or magical powers. There were stores that offered services like fortune telling and palm reading, but most regarded these people as con artists or quacks.

In fact, she was kind of surprised by how well he seemed to be taking the fact that a woman had just healed his injuries with nothing more than a touch.
PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: Apr 23 2017, 09:43 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

Raven knew nothing about it? Chris was entirely lost. He used magic, but he had absolutely no real understanding of how it worked and what the rules really were. No one had ever taught him, and what little he’d found on the internet was… Iffy. Some sites claimed one set of rules, others something entirely different, and yet a third group of sites that held an entirely different theory on the subject. It was crazy, and Chris had no idea what to actually think, and considering he’d been doing just fine on his own, he figured that he had one specific thing he could do, and he’d just stick to that. The relief of pain helped him think a bit more clearly, and he understood something immediately; that the cessation of pain he was feeling was caused directly by the woman who had helped him.

When it came to his own ability to fend for himself in a physical confrontation, Chris was under absolutely no illusions. He was a pacifist; he didn’t fight, didn’t get violent with others. He’d have happily handed over his wallet (okay, not happily but willingly enough in order to avoid being hurt in the process) and gone his own way had he been on his own. Still, he had a shiner to show for his efforts, and frankly that he was escaping with just a black eye was a relief.

“Raven, it’s my honor.” He smiled when she explained, and he shrugged, “I won’t. I can understand that. No one likes being different.” It was easy for him to accept what she was saying. After all, he made toys that came to life. Everyone had their own brand of weird, and no one really liked being called out on it. So Chris took what Raven admitted in stride, accepting it with a mellow calm. His sister was dating a ghost, he made living toys, and Raven apparently healed people. This was the life he lived, and honestly? It wasn’t a half bad one.

“So, Raven, do you live in this area? Because while all of Gotham sort of seems just… Rough…” Bad. It seemed just bad, this whole city! “This area seems moreso…”

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: May 2 2017, 12:31 PM
Rachel Roth

Raven nodded, looking visibly more relieved at his promise. Not that she had a lot of luck as far as people keeping their word- being the daughter of a demon lord who would torture and eventually kill anyone who displeased him had a way of disinclining people to help you out . But she felt nothing but sincere gratitude from him, and unless Trigon got to him, she didn't see any reason for that to change.

Trigon would probably come after anyone who had helped her. There was no helping that- her only chance to help them was to get strong enough to protect people like Artemis.

She nodded as he said that no one wanted to be different. That might sound rather sad to some people, but Raven had found being unique- or at least being a rare breed of individual- had brought her more trouble than anything else.

"Yes, I live in this area. The Narrows, people call it. I've been told that it does indeed have a higher crime rate than the rest of Gotham," Raven stated calmly. Her lip twitched slightly in the hint of an amused smirk- she knew she looked like the perfect victim for those that preyed on the weak- female, thin, young, and not particularly tall, either.

But appearances could be deceiving.

As much as she disliked touching other people, Raven found herself leaning on the man a little bit. "So, where are we going?"

PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: May 7 2017, 05:54 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

Christian had no reason to break his word to Raven. She had helped him, doing him a kindness; of course he would keep her secret, especially seeing that she'd actually asked him to. Of course, Chris had no idea what he would do were he ever faced with an actual demon. Really, he never wanted to find out; he was perfectly content not knowing.

For Christian, growing up being different had been... Challenging. Being small, being short and qseaae.im bookish and interested in music and colors and art and math... Building toys... And then having magic… It had been less than easy. Chris had learned fairly early that it was just a whole lot easier, and better (and made it less likely to get picked on and beat up) to pretend that he was as normal as possible. He watched and played sports, rough-housed, and got into just enough trouble to blend in. most of the time. It wasn't a perfect guise. He was still smaller, still shorter, and his interest in many ‘normal’ things was feigned.

No one, in Christian's experience, wanted to be different.

The Narrows. Yeah. he had suspected that's where he'd unwittingly ended up. Chris nodded, "Yeah. I don't know much about Gotham, really. Was just," he waved his hand almost dismissively, “wandering. Hoping to run into my friend, Thea. Got lost." Oops, his tone said. He had definitely not meant to get lost. "Do you know your way around the city?”

She leaned on him, and Chris smiled easily, supporting the extra weight easily. He wasn't large by any means, but he was fit, and he wasn't weak. “Well, my sister lives a bit away from here. And I have no idea where anyone else lives."

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: May 14 2017, 11:47 PM
Rachel Roth

Raven's eyes lit up at the mention of Thea. "Thea Queen?" she asked hopefully. She knew it was a long shot- Gotham was a big place, after all. "I know...a bit of Gotham, but I am new to town myself," Raven admitted. In fact, she was new to Earth in general, but she didn't want to overwhelm Christian with the complete truth. Then again, he was handling the news of her powers better than her mother had told her most humans would. She wondered why. Did Christian have some experience with magic and the supernatural prior to encountering her, or was he just that laid back?

"Gotham is indeed not the most welcoming of cities at times," Raven admitted. It was easy to pick up on the direction of his thoughts. "And this area in particular. It's not the best place to go wandering. People are more likely to mug someone who looks lost than help them out," she informed him dourly. "Let's get you to your sister."

Perhaps she was being too harsh. But her life had not exposed her to much of the better side of human nature. And her empathic gifts, while great for picking up danger, were quite the curse. Raven always knew what people's intentions were and the degree of sincerity behind their words. She knew her own mother didn't love her unequivocally- she felt love for her, yes, but also shame and regret and guilt and fear when she glimpsed her daughter.

How could a child not experience that and think the worst of the world she grew up in?
PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: May 20 2017, 09:51 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

She knew Thea! Christian brightened at the woman's question and he nodded happily, "Yes! You know her? I met her last time I was in Gotham." He blinked, then winced, "Could we maybe not tell her about how I went for a walk, got lost, and got mugged? It's pretty embarrassing." He nodded, "I'm just gonna try to find my way back to my sister’s place…”

Chris was pretty laid back, it was true. But he also knew a bit about magic, and had met a hero or two. He took things in stride, and Raven's abilities were no different in that matter.

“So I've learned. Lots of people with less than honorable intentions in this city.” He was just glad to have met a couple of them. Two: Thea and Raven, and one of Gotham's numerous heroes, The Artemis. "Thank you, Raven. You’re very kind." He'd gotten lucky, he knew.. Now, he just needed that luck to hold out till he got back to Belle’s. Raven might have a more negative outlook, but Chris." Chris held on to optimism with a tenacity. He wanted, even needed, to stay positive. So he would. For Chris, it was simple like that. He smiled to Raven, then told her the street Belle lived on. That should be safe. Besides, she was friends with Thea. She was safe.

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: May 29 2017, 08:22 PM
Rachel Roth

"Wow, I guess Gotham is smaller than I thought," Raven mused. She nodded when he asked that they keep the mugging a secret between them. "I think that's best for both of us- it would be kind of hard to explain why you got mugged and I'm limping. If you want to say you scared a mugger away from me, knock yourself out," Raven said. She didn't have a whole lot of pride where such things were concerned, and other than a lecture from Thea and Artemis, she didn't think too much would come of it.

They continued to walk, and she nodded at his words. She knew that what he spoke was true- she was an empath, after all, privy to the general mood of the people around her, if not their actual thoughts. "So how do you know Thea?" she asked, genuinely curious. "How did you two meet?"

She picked up on a surge of doubt as he told her where Belle lived, but said nothing. Her powers did not give her a lot of context about the emotions people were feeling, and she could not be sure that she was the cause of whatever Christian was feeling. Besides, the man had just gotten mugged a few minutes ago. It was understandable for him to be a bit on edge and suspicious.
PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: Jun 6 2017, 04:41 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

“Maybe less smaller and more tight-knit? I've had two people describe it like that to me." One of whom was the fiery woman they were now talking about. Her agreement was a relief. "It's not that I mind her knowing it happened, but... You know. It's sort of embarrassing. It… Happens to me more than it does most. Chris did, however, laugh at Raven's suggestion. "Except that Thea knows me better than that. Better to just keep it vague. Besides, Thea is amazing; if I say I can't really explain it, she'll let it go.” That was their understanding, after all.

When Raven asked how he knew Thea, chris smiled brightly, “Oh! We met in the park. We were both just sort of taking a walk, and happened upon each other. She's a talker, and so am, obviously, and we just kind of hit it off. So we had ice cream, and had supper and just hung out. when I went back to Central, we kept in touch. I think she might be the easiest friend I've ever made. Like it took no actual work - it just happened."

Risking himself, his own well-being was one thing. Chris did that all too often. But risking Belle's safety? That was a different story altogether. Chris was far more cautious when it came to his sister than he was for himself. And Raven was right; he had just been assaulted. Still. Raven had helped him, and at her own expense. She was friends with Thea. And Belle had James. His concerns didn’t keep him worried, that wasn't in his nature. "I warn you fair and square here and now. Raven.. I'm a bit turned around, I don't know Gotham well. And I insist you come up for dinner and pie." He raised a hand to forestall any argument she might raise, “It's the least I can do, feed you. You’re hurt because of me., and Belle's pie is the absolute best there is."

PM
^
Rachel Roth
 Posted: Jun 11 2017, 04:39 AM
Rachel Roth

"I can relate to that," Raven said with a nod. She was a slight girl, nothing the least bit frightening about her if you didn't know who she was. And she had lived in some pretty rough areas in Azeroth. People always wanted to prey on her there, just like Christian.

Or they knew exactly who she was and feared her. It had felt like it was her destiny to be either be preyed on or feared by others- never to be loved or accepted. Until she moved here to Earth and got a fresh start. She just wished her mother had been able to join her...

She tried to turn her mind away from such depressing thoughts, but it was hard. Her mother was either dead at Trigon's hands or had ended up somewhere completely different from Raven, all alone. How could she not worry over her?

She was distracted from her own thoughts by his. She felt more suspicion come over him, but again, it was impossible to determine whether she was the cause of it. And even if she was...well, she couldn't blame him, even if he didn't know she was half-demon. Her own life had made her predisposed to paranoia.

She gave a small smile at the offer of dinner and pie. "I don't have anywhere I need to be anytime soon. Sure!" she replied enthusiastically, her more serious demeanor disappearing for once. How could she not be excited? She had spent most of her life scrounging for scraps of food. She was still getting used to the thrill of eating on a regular basis.
PM
^
Christian Verglas
 Posted: Jun 14 2017, 08:18 AM
Christian Verglas
He/Him
Magic Users
SHIPPER
REQUEST
TRACKER
DEVELOPMENT
Bisexual
Single
Nyte

Looking at Raven, Chris supposed she had a point; she was somewhat on the small side and no, just by looking at her, she wasn't really frightening. But Christian understood that looks could be deciding. Tiny was a huge man, but he was on the quiet side and knew how to listen. Safi was beautiful, but deadly. Belle was unassuming with a sharp intellect and wit.

While Chris worried, he wasn't afraid. Raven had rescued him from what likely would have ended up becoming a rather nasty beating. If she had meant him harm. She'd had the opportunity, and instead she had healed him.

Now, he viewed her as a potential friend.

So he invited her to dinner at Belle's. He'd have plenty for three, and he’d be impolite and ungrateful if he didn't. Besides, she seemed nice, and you didn't make friends by shooing a nice person away after they had gone out of their way to help you. And the offer seemed well received, too! The enthusiasm Raven replied with was met with a happy, equally excited grin from Chris. "Great! I hope you like southern comfort food; it’s my specialty, and my sister loves it."

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

SKINNED BY Vanessa of SHINE and CAUTION
GO TO TOP